Saint Sava Temple
Belgrade, Vracarski plato,
Preparation for the construction of one of the biggest Orthodox temples in the world started far back in 1894. The temple is erected at the very place where in 1594, on order from Sinan-pasa, relics of Saint Sava were brought from Mileseva monastery and burned. After two contests, a proposed project and plans by architects Bogdan Nestorovic and Aleksandar Deroko were accepted in 1926. The construction was interrupted by German bombardment at the start of World War II, and works were resumed in 1985.