Belgrade City Library
Belgrade, Knez Mihailova 56,
This is the largest book-renting library in Belgrade. Founded in 1928, but its real story started in XIX century. Gligorije Vozarevic – first Serbian publisher, librarian, bookseller and book-binder –already in 1829, in Belgrade, considered to be
an exceptional man and a “literary figure”. He was the first in Serbia to popularize books and reading. In World War II the library was partially damaged during bombardment, but nearly all the books were preserved. In June 1945 this Library reopened its doors. In 1986 the Library moves to an adapted building on Knez Mihajlova 56. The new premises were inaugurated by the poetess Desanka Maksimovic. In 1987 the Library introduces automation in its working process and becomes the first library in ex-Yugoslavia to apply computer technology.