Beograd, Trg republike 2, Francuska 3
The National Theater is bordered by Francuska, Vase Carapica, Dositejeva and Brace Jugovica streets. Prince Mihajlo Obrenovic came with a decree to build this theater. The corner-stone was laid on 19th of August 1868. Architect Aleksandar Bugarski made the project for this theater that was a modern object by European standards of the times. It had 714 seats and was illuminated by gas lighting. The building was reconstructed seven times, and its present look is from 1986-1989, when the theater appearance regained its look from 1922. A new annex was built towards Braca Jugovica street. Besides theatrical performances, the auditorium in XIX century opened its doors to charitable fund-raising balls and concerts.