Kula (Tower) Nebojsa is situated in the Lower town of Belgrade’s fortress, at the entrance of the former Danube port. It was built around 1460. by the Hungarians, as the defense to the access of Danube port. The tower got the name Nebojsa, which is the negation of the verb to fear, this meaning that the tower is not fearful any enemy and that it is inaccessible. At first it was known as Bela (White) and Temisoara tower, and its present name dates from the
XVII century. In that time a gunpowder explosion destroyed Little Town with the former Nebojsa tower. The present tower has four floors and a basement, and is 23 meters high and belongs to the so-called high-rise artillery towers. As Danube port lost its importance and was gradually covered up, Turks transform Nebojsa tower into a prison. The most famous captive was the great Greek patriot Riga de Fere, who was executed in the tower on 24. of June 1798.