Botanical Garden – Jevremovac
Botanical Garden is in Takovska street and surrounded by several neighbouring streets. Ministry of education of the Kingdom of Serbia issued a decree in 1874, after a motion by Josif Pancic, founding the Royal Botanical Garden in Belgrade. At first the Garden was located by the Danube’s bank, on Dorcol. In 1889 king Milan Obrenovic gave this estate, that he inherited from his grandfather Jevren, to the state. The old Botanical Garden was relocated and according to donor’s wish named “Jevremovac”. This name stayed up to 1940, and since then its name was no more in use even though there was no any official decree of the sort. In 1991 its original old name was introduced again, after the motion of the Botany Institute joined by the Botanical Garden of the Department of Biology. The Garden covers about 5 hectares, and besides open spaces has a glass greenhouse, built in 1892, that has 500 square meters. In the open space there are over 300 species of trees and shrubs and over 700 European and exotic plants, while tropical and subtropical plant in the greenhouse number nearly 1000 species.