Obedska bara (pond)
It is located in the southeastern part of Srem region, between Kupinovo, Obrez, Grabovci and river Sava, only 40 km west from Belgrade. Obedska bara (pond) has the shape of a “horseshoe”. This special nature preserve covers 9.820 hectares, and the whole protected zone is 19.611 hectares. Obarska bara is the remainder of the old Sava’s river bed, while the watercourse flows southwards now. By the Ravenica canal Obedska bara is connected to Sava only during high watermarks. During low watermarks the water flows off by Vok canal. The pond is watered by ground water and the surface flow. This area is the den to many water, swamp, forest and meadow communities. Austrohungarian royal court in 1874 declared this area to be a protected royal hunting ground. In 1919 it becomes the hunting grounds of the Karadjordjevic dynasty, and in 1951 by an official decree it becomes a protected nature conservation area. Obedska bara is from 1977 under a special protection order and on the list of ponds of international importance.