Nikola Pasic Square
Nikola Pasic Square is bordered by Terazije, King Aleksandar Boulevard and Decanska street. and is the youngest Belgrade square. It was built in 1953. A fountain was made at the same time. In the first half of 19th century this space was an empty meadow, with the Istanbul road going through it. Part of this road slowly changed into a street that at first was known as “Little street by the Golden gun” (after a nearby inn), and later as Marko’s street. Not far from where the National Assembly is today, at the beginning of Vlajkoviceva street, was one of the bigger mosques – Batal-mosque, put down in 1869. Architectural and urban reconstruction started after World War II, when many old housed were turned down, streetcar tracks removed, a fountain installed, fences around the National Assembly and the former royal garden removed, and many new buildings built, including the Trade Union Building, Investment Bank, Municipality Administration Building… For a long time this square was Marx and Engels square, with a large parking lot on it. In 1998 in the centre of the square a monument of Nikola Pasic was installed.