This is the main city square. It covers the space bordering on “Gradska kafana”, “Jadran” cinema, National Theater and the Central Club of the Serbian Army. The present square was constructed after Stambol-kapija was turned down in 1866, and the National Theatre built in 1869. Stambol-kapija – built by the Austrians at the start of 18th century, was located between prince Mihajlo’s monument and the National Theatre. It was the largest and the most beautiful gate in the time the town was surrounded by a long trench. From that gate went the road to Carigrad (Istanbul), and that is why the gate was named after it. In folk memory Stambol-kapija was remembered as the execution place – Christian subjects were impaled on the pole. In the battle to capture Belgrade (1806), in front of this gate Vasa Carapic, a well-known commander in the First Serbian Uprising, was mortally wounded. In memory to this event a monument was built and a nearby street was named after the hero.