Slavija Square covers the space between kralja Milana, Beogradska, Makenzijeva, Svetosavska, JNA Boulevard, Deligradska and Nemanjina streets. Up to the eighties of the 19th century this space was a large swamp, where Belgraders went hunting mallards. When the Englishman Frensis Makenzi, known as a businessman, bought a large complex of land above the present square and parceled it out for sale, it marked the beginning of the future square. Very soon Makenzi made his house at Slavija, at the spot where former cinema “Slavija” has been, which in 1910 became the Socialist Party’s House, the centre of the workers’ movement. In 1962 a modern hotel named “Slavija” was built, enlarged later. For a time the square was named after Dimitrije Tucovic, a prominent leader of the socialist movement in Serbia, whose monument is in the very centre of the square. Slavija is one of the main city landmarks, an important traffic junction, but also an unfinished urban totality, with lot of work to be done.