The square encompasses the area from Sremska street to kralja Milana street. It is one of the best known Belgrade squares. It began to take shape in the first half of 19th century. Prince Milos Obrenovic ordered that Serbian craftsmen, especially blacksmiths and coppersmiths, have to move from the town surrounded by the trench, where they lived mixed with Turks, and make their homes and shops at the site of today’s Terazije. As for Terazije’s name it has been noted: “ Bringing water to the town of Belgrade, starting from sources in Mokri Lug, Turks built water-towers along the water course, and as Turks called such towers “terazije”, this later on became the name of this square”. In 1860 the water-tower was removed and in its place Terazije’s fountain was erected in remembrance of prince Milos. Big changes were done in 1911-1912: in the central part “flower squares” have been planted and surrounded by a low iron fence, and on the part towards Nusiceva street a large fountain was built. Terazije’s present look dates from the reconstruction in 1947, when little squares, the fountain and streetcar tracks were removed.